SHEIKH DR. ZAHARUDDIN ABDUL RAHMAN
Sheikh Dr. Zaharuddin Abdul Rahman graduated with a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Usuluddin from University of Malaya, obtained a Master in Islamic Law (Hons) from Al-Yarmouk University, Jordan and subsequently obtained his PhD in Shariah and Islamic Finance from University of Wales, Lampeter, United Kingdom.
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Founder of Elzar Shariah Solutions and Advisory Sdn Bhd
- Founder of MyClaaz.com
- Chairman of Shariah Committee for Exim Bank Berhad
- Chairman of Shariah Committee for Onexox Sdn Bhd
- Chairman of Shariah Committee for Perbadanan Usahawan Nasional Berhad (PUNB)
- A member of Shariah Committee for Islamic Employees Provident Fund Malaysia (EPF)
- Board member of YAPEIM & Chairman of Risk.
- Board member of UNisZA & Chairman of Audit & Risk.
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Business & Managment, UNiSZA
- Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Business & Accountancy, UNISEL.
- Board member of Urban Mobility Sdn Bhd ( Moovby)
- Shariah Advisor of Sedania Salam Sdn Bhd for As-SidqTM
- A member of Special Committee of Islamic Finance, Malaysia.
- Chairman of Board of Directors and Halal Advisor to Elzar Resources Sdn Bhd.
- Bursa marketplace Shariah Scholar, BURSA Malaysia
- A member of Perlis Fatwa Council
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Elzar Trading Sdn Bhd (owner of Elzar Mart)
- Registered Shariah Adviser at Securities Commission of Malaysia
- Chairman, Shariah Committee for Ana Edar Sdn Bhd
- Shariah Advisor for Baco Medicare Sdn Bhd
- President of Multaqa Asatizah and Duat (MURSHID)
PREVIOUS INDUSTRIAL EXPERIENCE
He has served Ingress Corporation Berhad as Shariah Consultant for the Group Human Resources Development. In 2005, he joined RHB Islamic Bank Berhad as Senior Manager in its Product Development and Shariah Compliance Department. He later joined Asian Finance Bank Berhad where he was the Head of Shariah Compliance Division and Secretary for the Shariah Board. In 2007, he returned to RHB Islamic Bank Berhad as Shariah Consultant. In 2008, he joined OSK Investment Bank Berhad as Chairman of its Shariah Advisory Council before leaving to pursue his PhD in United Kingdom. In 2007 to 2017, Dr. Zaharudin serving as a Senior Lecturer at the Kuliyyah of Economics & Management Sciences, International Islamic University, Malaysia.
In between 2009 and 2014 he has served as Shariah consultant, Shariah advisor, expert and counsel to many Islamic Financial Institutions, corporate companies and governmental agency in Malaysia and overseas, namely Standard Chartered Saadiq Berhad, Deutsche Islamic Bank (Malaysia), Al-Rajhi Bank Berhad, BIMB Securities Sdn Bhd, ACR Retakaful Bahrain, Shariah Chairman of BNP Paribas, UEM Land Berhad, Jabatan Kemajuan Islam (JAKIM), Al Naqiy Islamic Solution Sdn Bhd, Siraj Capital Ltd, Jeddah, C&S Consulting & Investment Ltd, British Virgin Island, Dar al-Ilmi Consulting, Trinidad. During that time also, he was the board management member for Institute of Islamic Banking and Finance (IiBF), International Islamic University, Malaysia. Dr. Zaharuddin was also the Shariah Specialist Consultant for Bank Negara Malaysia from July 2013 to July 2014 and also as invited Shariah expert for special project by the Accountant General’s Department of Malaysia in 2016 and Shariah Expert for JAKIM in 2011-2013.
He has written numerous books and hundreds of articles on Islamic Jurisprudence and Islamic Banking and other Shariah journals, including local and international magazines. He frequently appears on local television and radio presenting on various Shariah issues especially with regard to Islamic commercial transactions.